Glossaire des meubles
Active-joint Doors : Two doors juxtaposed whose junction is not covered
Active-joint Drawers : These parts are grouped in such a way that their fronts join together
Angle piece : Located at the peak of an angle formed by two components
Annulet : Decorative element which appears as a constant-width line, generally used to raise furniture doors and table platters
Armrest Pads : padding of the part of the arm boards of seats, armchairs or sofas where the forearm is applied
Articulated lid or shutter : A lid made up of narrow, thin pieces fixed side-by-side and which slide in grooves and are used in secretary desks
Backrest : Bulge in the lower portion of a seat back or transversal cushion placed in the same location (seats, armchairs or sofas) 
Bar : Part linking two legs beneath the platform of chairs or armchairs
Base : A set of assembled parts which supports the table from below
Base with flexible edges : A structure whose longer sides are lower than the shorter sides
Base with rigid edges : A structure whose frame is a the same height at all four corners
Bedstead : Framework designed to hold the mattress
Bolduc : Piece of cloth in the shape of a cross, sewn in the opposite direction of the cloth-covering and attached in the hollow of the trim
Border backing cloth : Overflowing portion of a cushion designed to cover the front or upper portion of the sofa or seat back
Bottom : Panel used to enclose the bottom of a piece of furniture
Bottom of Arms : The side of certain types of seating between the platform, the arm-boards and the padded posts
Canopy : Internal portion of a canopy bed (see Canopy bed)
Center-rail : Bar linking the legs of a piece of furniture, located slightly above the ground
Chassis : Frame designed to receive any sort of surface material. It forms a unit by itself and is integrated in either a fixed or mobile fashion into a piece of furniture
Cleat : Piece of narrow wood attached by a dado to a larger piece to increase its length or width or to frame it
Cleats : Parts used as adjustments, end-stops
Clip : Metallic part for attaching springs
Console legs : These are mounted higher than the platform they support and take the place of arm-rest consoles
Coulisse : A grooved part which in a movable part slides. Used in furniture or table drawers
Cover Cap : Part made of metal, wood or plastic which hides the surface of an unattractive part
Cover Joint : Part placed at the junction of two doors to conceal the abutment line
Covering : Final layer : this is also called a cover
Covering doors : Furniture doors whose internal border is even with the frame
Cross-beams : Parts with small cross-sections used to support tablets, racks, etc
Curved leg : Leg of a piece of furniture or seat whose shape is curved on top
Door Assembly : This consists of a frame that envelopes a surface of any kind (decorative panel made of melamine, glass etc.)
Drawer : Drawers are composed of a front, sides, back and base
Dummy-Bottom : Horizontal panel placed between two drawers to isolate them
End stop : Part which limits the movement of a movable unit
English drawer : The front of this drawer is much lower than the sides and rear
Eventail drawer : This drawer opens by rotation around an axis which co-incides with the lower horizontal side of the front
External dimensions : External measurements of furniture or seating, plotted on a plane and in elevation, which determines the overall envelope of the furniture or seating
False Cushion : Trim designed to look like a cushion
False-Legs : Posts glued to the inside corner of a piece of furniture, designed to hold the rear panel
Fixed Frame : Vertical fixed part which separates two movable parts
Flap : Device which joins a door or divider to a frame
Frame :  Supporting structure of piece of furniture, furniture unit or seat
Headboard : Unit touching the mattress and placed at the head or foot of a bed. It helps to keep the mattress in place
Headboard Slats : Bed headboard slats connecting the posts
Header : The upper part of some chair-backs whose tops are composed of three cushions with differnet compression resistances
Headrest : Upper portion of a seat-back providing head support. Can be a removable or attached cushion
Hinge : Rotational fittings composed of two rectangular blades, one fixed, one mobile, providing articulation of 2 furniture parts
Hinging : Mechanism that connects a door or a divider to a frame and allows it to open and close
Inside-back Cover : Outfitting of the rear-side of a chair or sofa back
Jaconet : Cloth trimming on the bottom of a seat or sofa
Large-frame moulding : An integrated, decorative item A moulding that frames a surface and whose profile is completely or partially above the mating surface
Latch : Small latch for locking chassis doors (light furniture doors)
Leaf : Designed to increase the horizontal surface of a table
Leg or Support : pièce pivotante ou articulée servant à supporter un abattant
Lower legs : Weight-bearing leg which form the base of a piece of furniture
Magnetic Closure : System composed of a magnets and metal plates to hold a door in the closed position
Marabou : Ringlet trim which resembles piping
Mattress Frame : Assembly composed of a frame and a suspension layer
Molding : Molding that protrudes slightly and crowns the top of a piece of furniture above eye level
Mullion : Post placed between two doors and maintained by its extremities in the cross members (on an armoire, front central post)
Normal leaf : Placed between the two upper halves of the table or at its ends
Overlay drawer : The front of an overlay drawer covers the edges of the frame
Padding : Set of components used to in the weight-bearing sections of a seat or a decorative covering
Pan base : A structure whose platform is enveloped by a trim which creates a slope towards the middle to hold the mattress
Pendant : Small hanging part used as an ornament or as a means of opening something
Penture : A decorative, imitation item, used on doors
Pied en gaine : A leg whose width is greater at its top than at its bottom
Pilaster : Vertical member formed by a minor extension of a furniture façade
Pillow : Flat removable cushion used to decorate the seating area of a seat or a chair
Piping : A doubled strip of cloth used in a stitching to forming a relief decoration
Pivot : A rotating component for furniture doors
Plinth : A platform that rests on the ground and is placed under a piece of furniture
 Plug door : Furniture doors whose external border is even with the frame
Pour un siège : A flat or shaped frame which doubles the belt or is framed in it to form the platform, or is placed in the backrest to create moving parts
Ramps : Upper cross-beams of bed-heads and some seat-backs
Reaming : Exterior dressing of a fine cord or string
Reinforcement Cloth : Strong cloth attached to the frame of a seat to reinforce the areas covered by a more fragile cloth (seat back, outer side of armchair arm rests)
Rising Butt Hinge : Articulated part composed of a male and female part pivoting on an axis. This is generally used to hinge furniture doors
Roll Edge : Roving around the contour of the trim
Runner : A component placed under the feet of a piece of furniture to prevent damaging the floor
Rush : Thin rod applied on a semi-circular section
Scroll : Rounded or spiral part of certain armboards or backs (on armchairs with rolled arms for example)
Seat Front : Front of a seat trim
Seat Rail : Set of crossbeams which link the legs and uprights of seats, armchairs, sofas and tables
Separation panel : Part placed inside a piece of furniture to isolate two compartments
Shelf Support Strips : Wood pieces cut in a saw-blade pattern or perforated metal bands designed to support clips or hold shelf pins
Side Rails : Parts used to link the ends of the bed
Slats : Transverse boards on which a mattress is placed 
Sliding doors : Doors that slide in parallel to their own plane on a rail or in grooves made in the frame
Sliding tablet : Mobile tablet that slides horizontally in its plane (multi-media furniture etc.)
Slip Cover : Envelope which covers or protects furniture
Small backrest : The lower back-rest of a seat
Small-frame moulding : An integrated decorative item used to frame a surface and whose profile is completely recessed
Solid door : A door made from a solid panel or plywood
Solid panel : A piece of wood that is greater than 5 mm thick, used in furniture called "solid-wood furniture"
Split hinge : A double hinge used to facilitate the opening/closing of a door
Stop : Part or system designed to limit or brake a movable unit, usually a table or furniture drawer
Strap : Strip of strong, thick cloth used in a seat (the number and crossing of the straps provides rigidity to the seat)
Strapped legs : Legs of a table in which the straps are pre-assembled
Strapping : Trim support composed of straps
Stuffing : A furniture garnish made of compressible material (foam, hair etc.)
Suspended base : A structure which has an equal elasticity over its complete surface
Tablet : A part placed horizontally in a piece of furniture
Tassel : Woven trim, used for decoration
Top Rail : Upper crossbeam of a seat back
Traverse : Horizontal part in a frame (upper traverse, lower traverse, interim traverse)
Trimming : Strong ribbon used to hide studding on tapestry (seats, armchairs, sofas...)
Tuft : Trim composed of padded humps, kept in place by buttons in diamond formation (used in chesterfield-style armchairs and sofas) 
Upright : Part placed vertically in a frame
Useful Dimensions : Internal and external measurements of furniture or seating which allow the furniture or seat to function in the manner for which it was created
Top of page